httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy removing/filtering origin response headers
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:46:06 GMT

On 8 Mar 2012, at 21:35, TomFennelly wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a reverse proxy configured, but mod_proxy seems to be removing some
> of the response headers that were sent from the origin server.  I need the
> ones in question to be passed back to the client (websocket connection
> upgrade handshake headers).  Is there a way of configuring this?  I can't
> find it anywhere.

You're up against a mismatch of what websockets expect and what HTTP defines.
mod_proxy_http implements HTTP, and can't be held responsible for other
protocols.

Assuming(?) no complexities beyond the headers, it would be straightforward
to hack mod_proxy_http to provide that option (note: NOT do that by default).
It just needs someone to sit down with the websockets spec and go through
the relevant contradictions with HTTP.

You could also question why the websockets folks went and abused hop-by-hop
headers when they could instead have done what HTTP provides for and
created extension headers to meet their needs without breaking anything!

--
Nick Kew