httpd-users mailing list archives

From "ron.vandenbranden@home" <ron.vandenbran...@kantl.be>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy: ProxyPassReverse ignored with ProxyPreserveHost?
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:54:42 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your detailed suggestions, Tom.

On 29/03/2012 18:22, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Ron Van den Branden
> <ron.vandenbranden@kantl.be>  wrote:
>> Yet, when switching on ProxyPreserveHost, internal redirects via Tomcat
>> fail:
>>
>>    ProxyPreserveHost off
>                           ^^^^ This should be "on" surely?

Ouch, my bad, sorry. Surely, 'on' is what I meant.

> So, what URL does your backend server generate? Does the Location
> header, as seen by Apache, contain "http://localhost:8082/" when
> ProxyPreserveHost is on, or does it contain something else?
>
> The best way to debug reverse proxying is to run tcpdump on the proxy
> server. That way, you can see the request as the reverse proxy sees
> it, the request as the backend sees it, the raw response generated by
> the backend and the processed response returned by the proxy. Without
> seeing those things, we're probably just guessing.

I've briefly checked: I can run tcpdump on the proxy server. Yet, I
don't know it at all. Do you perhaps know the command to achieve the
task you mention, so I can produce more useful reports? Un/fortunately,
I'm leaving on holiday tomorrow; but maybe I still have some time to
look into this tonight.

Kind regards,

Ron