httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ron Van den Branden <ron.vandenbran...@kantl.be>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy: ProxyPreserveHost omits start of proxied path
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:39:02 GMT
Hi,

I am setting up a reverse proxy configuration that will proxy all
requests starting with /apps/ to a Tomcat server running on a closed
port. I have set up following configuration in httpd.conf:

   ProxyRequests	off
   ProxyPass/apps/     http://localhost:8082/
   ProxyPassReverse/apps/http://localhost:8082/
   ProxyPassReverseCookiePath/apps/  /

This generally works, even for internal redirections inside the Tomcat
apps I'm addressing. Suppose my Tomcat app is internally accessible at
<http://localhost:8082/my_app/>, and this request is internally
redirected to <http://localhost:8082/my_app/index.htm>, a request for
<http://mydomain/apps/my_app/> is correctly redirected to
<http://mydomain/apps/my_app/index.htm>.

Yet, there's a webstart application inside a Tomcat app that needs the
*original* URL, instead of the proxied 'localhost:8082' URL. Hence, I
tried by adding:

   ProxyPreserveHost	on

But this does not work 100%:
     -internal redirects inside the Tomcat app omit the /apps/ part from
the redirected URL. For example, a request for
<http://mydomain/apps/my_app/> now ends up at
<http://mydomain/my_app/index.htm>.
     -also (and probably related): the webstart application inside the
Tomcat app doesn't preserve the /app/ part of the original request, and
fails.

All does work perfectly, however, with ProxyPreserveHost switched on,
when the entire URL space is proxied: "ProxyPass     /
http://localhost:8082/" etc. But I explicitly want to limit the proxying
to just one URL pattern, starting with '/apps/'. How can the '/apps/'
part of the original request be passed on to the proxied URL (as
apparently was the case with ProxyPreserveHost switched off)? (Note:
proxying to http://localhost:8082/apps/ is not an option, as there is no
physical /apps/ folder there).

I hope this sketches my problem.  I have the feeling I'm almost there;
any help much appreciated!

Ron