httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems with cgi scripts and Apache's log.
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:52:38 GMT
On March 1, 2012 11:40 , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Antonio_Fern=E1ndez_P=E9rez?=
<antoniofernandez@fabergames.com> wrote:
> My apologies for these messages. Now, I have checked it and is growing
> the access log file. How can I do to deny these requests? I'm trying
> to configure Apache to deny all requests that tries to execute .dll
> files ind cgi-bin directory. Any idea? I don't know how can I do it.

Unless you completely turn off logging, so that no requests get logged,
then your log files will grow.  If you have access logs turned on, then
any successful request -- such as for the go_away.html page when someone
attempts to access a .dll file in the cgi-bin directory -- will get
logged.  If you have error logs turned on, then all unsuccessful
requests, including all requests for files that do not exist AND all
requests which are denied -- will get logged.

I strongly recommend keeping both access logging and error logging
turned on so that you know what is going on with your server.

Why is it a problem for you that the access logs and error logs grow?
If it's a disk space problem, you really should get more disk space, or
look into remote logging to a separate machine.  If it's a problem with
having things in the log files that you don't want to see ("cruft" or
"noise" in the log files), then use a program that analyzes log files
for you, makes them more intelligible, and generates reports -- there
are many programs that will do this, and these programs take many
different approaches.  Some programs to look into include Splunk,
logwatch, swatch, AWstats, Analog, and Webalizer.  Do a google search on
"log file analyzer" or "log file filter", or describe what you want to
do on this mailing list and ask for advice.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org