httpd-users mailing list archives

From Téssio Fechine <precheca...@yahoo.com.br>
Subject [users@httpd] Question About ACL
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:10:41 GMT
Hello,
I am learning apache, and the ironic part is that reading the apache documentation on acl
reinforced my doubt in this matter.

In this part:
In the following example, all hosts in the apache.org domain are allowed access; all other
hosts are denied access.

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from apache.org

---
My interpretation on this example:

Order Deny,Allow   (allow everything, unless specifically denied)

Deny from all   (deny everything.. kind of contradictory after the last line)

Allow from apache.org   (allow this specific hosts)

---
Why not use this, that has fewer steps and seems more logical?:

Order Allow,Deny   (deny by default)
Allow from apache.org   (allow this specific hosts)

I am getting it wrong or what? Why almost every example I see seems kind of contradictory?