httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anam Ali Khan <anamalik...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What's the name of the http server on my Ubuntu: httpd or apache2?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:54:25 GMT
I think it is not so important to call Apache web server as apache2 in any distribution.

The truth is that the proper name of Apache Web Server is httpd which is why Apache Software
Foundation call by this name.

-Anam

________________________________
 From: Mathijs <mathijssch@gmail.com>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Cc: juliosergio@gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, 6 March 2012, 3:19
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] What's the name of the http server on my Ubuntu: httpd or apache2?

The Debian/Ubuntu distributions, or rather their Apache HTTPD package maintainers, have renamed
the binary to apache2, amongst other modifications. This was mainly done to differentiate
between Apache 1.x and Apache 2.x, but its use is mostly void nowadays.
Some other changes and layout peculiarities are listed here: http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DebianDeb0rkification

I'm very puzzled with this simple question: the name of the http server is httpd