httpd-users mailing list archives

From Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What's the name of the http server on my Ubuntu: httpd or apache2?
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 23:40:07 GMT
On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 23:19 +0100, Mathijs wrote:
> The Debian/Ubuntu distributions, or rather their Apache HTTPD package
> maintainers, have renamed the binary to apache2, amongst other
> modifications. This was mainly done to differentiate between Apache
> 1.x and Apache 2.x, but its use is mostly void nowadays.

Yes and I have long believed they need to be called to task on this.
The Web Server software "httpd",  hence why the source code released in
httpd-x.xx.xx.  Apache is the Foundation name and is not the project
name, in their way of thinking, are they are going to call OpenOffice
apache3.4 when its released in coming months....