httpd-users mailing list archives

From <brittany.m.pears...@accenture.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache Configuration Cleanup Help
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:17:21 GMT
I've recently inherited the administration duties of my team's Apache server. I'm new to Apache,
but I've been picking up as much as I can through tutorials and Google, and from what I can
tell the original setup of our server is messy. Someone decided it was a good idea to configure
the server to startup using apache2.conf, then use httpd.conf and ports.conf as secondary
configuration files. I'd like to standardize our setup - to that end, I've taken a standard
httpd.conf file from my company's tutorial, merged in all our settings from the trio of config
files and attempted to refresh Apache with the new file. It won't start with the file named
httpd.conf, it complains that there's no apache2.conf file to read, but even if I name the
file how the server expects I get errors that look pretty basic to me. For example, I get
the error: " Invalid command 'ServerType', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included
in the server configuration." I receive the same error for the UserDir property, among others.

With the setup I've described, is there any way to figure out what is going on? Why it looks
for the wrong file at first, and why it can't recognize standard properties like ServerType?
Am I missing pieces of the installation? Or should I just keep commenting out everything that's
causing problems? We're running Apache version 2.2.14 on an Ubuntu installation, version 10.04.3.

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone
calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of
security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.

www.accenture.com