httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Swift <Swi...@swiftys.org.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] unexpected EOF while looking for matching
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:34:33 GMT
Thank you for your persistence, which has paid off, and conquered my
obtuseness.

So, apache doesn't invoke "sh". Neither does my code, explicitly. But when
my script invokes a host command, the interpreter just hands the command to
the default execution environment, which in this case is "sh".

I wrote a test command, called "quote", then tried to execute it
incorrectly, in a script called "test_shell". The code in test_shell is:

"quote 'stuff"

... so the command passed to "sh" would be *quote 'stuff* and that
generates exactly the error messages that I see. Debugging this will be
simple, now I know what I'm looking for; the interpreter can raise an
exception whenever a host command returns anything other than a zero return
code. If you just know to ask it to do so.

I'm now looking forward with some excitement to the next occurrence of the
problem. It's just a shame that they are quite rare.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk