httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] optimizing default mac/apache install for web development
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:29:20 GMT
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Patrick Stinson
<patrickstinson.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using chrome's network monitor is a good way to monitor the speed of
> requests as well, which is how I know that some requests for simple
> javascript files are taking 1-2 seconds.

no doubt they are taking as long as you think they are and external
measurement would show that; but there is a distinction between "httpd
thinks the request took so long" and the request really took so long,
and a difference there would cut out most of the httpd processing path
as the location of the slowdown; this is one of those diagnostic steps
which is easy to perform and might provide a great clue, but most
often won't show anything interesting

> Does anyone know a way to approach debugging these slow response times
> on a localhost request?

given a while to play, the dtrace scripts
(http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan/2011/10/10/top-10-dtrace-scripts-for-mac-os-x/)
probably would provide the right hook to sort this out

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Patrick Stinson
>> <patrickstinson.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am developing web applications and am periodically (50% of the time)
>>> seeing 1-2second turnaround times for GETS to localhost. The pages I
>>> am serving are basic html/css/js/image conglomerations, and sometimes
>>> the pages turn around in a matter of milliseconds. All resources are
>>> local so I assume it should be possible to get everything down to near
>>> instant every time? This is somewhat annoying when refreshing a page
>>> often while developing pages.
>>>
>>> I am on the latest Lion. I've googled around several times and found
>>> little help. Can't wait to tighten this up!
>>
>> One way to narrow this down is to see if httpd thinks the request took so long.
>>
>> See %D at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
>>
>> for a hint on changing the access log format to store the time taken
>> to serve the request.

Born in Roswell... married an alien...