httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Arnold <carn...@electrichendrix.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 1 Public IP Many Servers
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 03:02:17 GMT
On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Yehuda Katz <yehuda@ymkatz.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Chris Arnold <carnold@electrichendrix.com> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2012, at 7:08 PM, Yehuda Katz <yehuda@ymkatz.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Chris Arnold <carnold@electrichendrix.com>
wrote:
>> Apache2.2.3 on SLES10. I was hoping my firewall (sonicwall tz180w enhanced software)
would do this but it looks like it might not. We have 4 servers with private ip's and our
firewall has 1 public ip. These servers run different services like mail, web and the other
things. We are looking at another service (ticketing system) that can not run on but port
80. Port 80 is on the a different server. I need to know if apache is able to see an dns address
and forward to the correct server. Example:
>> http://cloudservice.domain.com on port 80 and http://mailservice.domain.com on port
80 (these are different servers with private ip's). Can apache see the xxx://cloudservice.xx.com
and forward to the correct server versus xxx://mailservice.xxx.com.
>> I hope what i need is clear as i am having a hard time describing it. Basically,
i need same port to go to different servers based on the dns address from the outside (public
ip).

>> You could set up a single instance of Apache that acts as a reverse proxy to the
other servers.
>> For example:
>> <VirtualHost cloudservice.example.com:80>
>>     ServerName cloudservice.example.com
>>     ProxyPass / http://192.168.1.10/
>>     ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.1.10/
>> </VirtualHost>
>> <VirtualHost mailservice.example.com:80>
>>     ServerName mailservice.example.com
>>     ProxyPass / http://192.168.1.11/
>>     ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.1.11/
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> Note that I did not test these configs, this is just a sample. You will probably
want some kind of security (SSL, maybe using SNI if you do not have clients using IE or Chrome
on Windows XP.)
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#
>
> Thanks for the reply. Should I be able to add the above directive to my vhost.conf file
or do I need to install and config mod_proxy? I looked in yast->software management and
do not see a mod_proxy. Best I can remember, you have to install the mod_*.

> mod_proxy is included in the default installation of HTTPD, I don't think openSUSE would
have removed it, so there is no separate package to install.
> You should be able to copy those into vhost.conf, but as I said, I have not tested them.
> If you try it and have further questions, just post back here.

Yea, I found mod_proxy.so. So I made the entry into vhost.conf but it still goes to the wrong
server. That which I am trying to forward is ifolder from the Novell install disc (not the
OSS). Do you use sles 11 and ifolder? If I remember right, the ifolder piece has its own small
apache instance? If you would like the web address to see what I am talking about, email me
off-list.