httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help with ssl configuration in apache
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:48:25 GMT
On February 24, 2012 10:23 , Giltime9 <Chrisluc168@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But again it is the trust of chain That I have.  Do I consider it is just the
> certificate?  Also do I need to import it into keystore?  Also is the
> keystore I generate considered athe private key?

Apache HTTP Server does not use a keystore.  Also, a keystore is not the
same as a private key.  A keystore contains the private key, the
certificate, and the chain of trust all in a single binary file.
Keystores, as created by the keytool program, are normally used by Java
programs.  But, again, Apache will not use a keystore (Apache is written
in C), so stop trying to create one.

Use the SSLCertificateKeyFile directive to point Apache at the
PEM-encoded key file that you generated before you created the
Certificate Signing Request that you sent to Verisign.  If you never had
a PEM-encoded key file, then export the private key from the keystore
into a PEM-encoded key file.

Verisign will have sent you the certificate in PEM-encoded format.  Use
the SSLCertificate file directive to point Apache to this file.

Finally, Versign will have either sent you or provided you a link to a
file containing all of the intermediate and root CA certificates that
were used to sign your certificate.  Each certificate in this file will
be in PEM-encoded format.  This is the "chain of trust".  Use the
SSLCertificateChainFile directive to point Apache at this file.  (There
are other ways to handle the chain of trust, but I'm keeping things
simple for the purposes of this discussion).

I hope this helps.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org