httpd-users mailing list archives

From Keith Brown <ke...@geoffreybrown.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Configuration Cleanup Help
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:50:37 GMT
The sites-available/default site is enabled as sites-enabled/000-default
by a2ensite in order to ensure that it is loaded and parsed first. If
your new virtual host conflicts with it then naturally you'll have
problems but if your current site is implemented using it then naturally
getting rid of it will cause problems. You need to go through your
configuration and completely understand it before making changes. Read
the relevant Apache reference manual sections at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ (you can also install the doc locally
by installing the apache2-doc package using sudo apt-get install
apache2-doc). There is no shortage of good information on the web
concerning Apache configuration but you might want to seed your search
with "ubuntu" or "ubuntu 10.04" so that the configuration files
discussed correspond with yours. You can start with
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/httpd.html.

On 22/02/12 22:41, brittany.m.pearsall@accenture.com wrote:
> Well, it's a relief to know that our setup isn't completely wrong, however the fact the
tutorials my company provides are super outdated is kind of depressing. Does anyone have any
links to good up-to-date tutorials for administering Apache?

> The problem I had that started this whole business was that I'm trying to install another
virtual host by putting a link in the sites-enabled directory and linking it to a config file
in sites-available. However the setup is getting confused by the default file in sites-available.
The troubleshooting for the application I'm installing (ReviewBoard, if anyone is familiar
with it), suggests getting rid of the default file, but when I do that the rest of the things
we have hosted on that server crash. Is there a way to rename/relink or move that default
file so that nothing changes on the front end? Or can I insert the contents of that file in
one of the setup files maybe?

configuration is broken up across several files in an attempt to make administration simpler:

> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf - main configuration file; usually not necessary to change;
pulls in via the Include directive ports.conf, security, modules confs and loads, httpd.conf,
and virtual host confs

> /etc/apache2/ports.conf - interface/port-related directives like Listen, and NameVirtualHost
if you're using name-based virtual hosts; very important

> /etc/apache2/conf.d/security - security-related directives like ServerSignature
>
> /etc/apache2/mods-available/<module>.conf and<module>.load - directives for
module<module>

> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf - main server directives e.g. ServerName that are not in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf;
if you're not using virtual servers then most of the remainder of your configuration would
typically go here

> /etc/apache2/sites-available/<site>  - directives for virtual host<site>
>
> Not only is there a particular configuration file setup. But there are also scripts used
to enable and disable modules and sites. E.g. a2enmod<module>  creates a symbolic link
to /etc/apache2/mods-available/<module>
> in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ and a2dismod<module>  deletes it. a2ensite<site>
 and a2dissite<site>  work similarly. Only the -enabled directories are pulled into
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf.

> It takes some getting used to, but this approach keeps things nicely segregated and is
a big help in a complicated setup.