httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] best website security method
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:07:49 GMT
On February 22, 2012 17:44 , Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> what is the best website security method?

What are your specific security requirements?  What are the
characteristics of your user community?  What risks are you trying to
protect against?  How important is security?  What tradeoffs are
acceptable in your situation, and which ones are not acceptable?

In short, what is "best" for me may not be "best" for you:  it depends
on each individual situation.

> 1. best authentication method?(AuthMYSQL?)

Here is an example of a "best" solution for a particular organization I
am thinking of, but this is probably overkill for most websites:

Have each user come to you in person every year and show two forms of
government ID, plus school records and utility bills.  This way, you
know who they are.  When they are there, in person, have them set a
strong password -- a sequence of four or more random words is best, see
https://www.xkcd.com/936/   Also give them a time-based OTP hardware
token that implements OATH via RFC 4226 (see
http://www.openauthentication.org/specifications ).

Configure your web server to use mod_authn_opt (
https://code.google.com/p/mod-authn-otp/ ) or a similar module.  Users
should be required to supply both their password (something they know)
as well as the currently valid OTP from their token (proving that they
have the token with them, something they have).  For extra security, you
should have the web server invalidate the session -- requiring them to
reauthenicate --any time the user's IP address changes.  Also invalidate
the session to require reauthentication after more than the maximum idle
time (example: 2 hours), more than the maximum total session time
(example: 24 hours), or when they hit any "sensitive" page or attempt to
perform any "high value" transaction/operation.

> 1.b best data authorization method?

Again, this depends on your situation.  Here's an example, again
probably overkill for most websites:

But, for example, authorize access based on roles rather than
usernames.  Associate users with one or more roles via your HR or ERP
systems.

For additional security, you can restrict authorization to not just
identity (authenticated username) but also location (IP address), and
time (for example, working hours).

Permission or role information is usually stored in a database and
checked by the web applications rather than the web server because
authorization is usually heavily dependent on business logic.  However,
it's possible to do authorization in the web server itself by using the
"Require" and "SSLRequire" directives, among others.  There are examples
in the Apache HTTP Server documentation about restricting access by
username, by group, by IP address, by time of day, and more.

> 2. best website security method?(ssl?)

SSL is not a generic web site security method, it just protects
communication between the web browsers and web servers from interception
and modification.

When you combine SSL with authentication, you can effectively stop
random people from scanning your web site for vulnerabilities.

However, if you are looking for "website security methods", then in
addition to SSL, require authentication and authorization, use
web-application level firewalls (such as mod_security, Suhosin, or a
Citrix NetScaler), use a Mandatory Access Control system at the OS level
(such as SELinux), implement tripwire to detect unauthorized filesystem
changes, set up a monitoring system to detect abnormalites (suspicious
processes, outgoing network connections, etc.), log monitoring (web
server access log, web server error log, and operating system logs), and
regularly patch/update all software on the server to fix
vulnerabilities.  I'm sure other people can add other recommended
practices to this list.

> 3. which is the best open source "automated and heuristic web vulnerability scanner"
?

I don't know, hopefully someone else can answer this.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org