httpd-users mailing list archives

From Keith Brown <ke...@geoffreybrown.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Configuration Cleanup Help
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:31:49 GMT

What you're seeing are the standard Debian/Ubuntu configuration files
for Apache. The configuration is broken up across several files in an
attempt to make administration simpler:

/etc/apache2/apache2.conf - main configuration file; usually not
necessary to change; pulls in via the Include directive ports.conf,
security, modules confs and loads, httpd.conf, and virtual host confs

/etc/apache2/ports.conf - interface/port-related directives like Listen,
and NameVirtualHost if you're using name-based virtual hosts; very important

/etc/apache2/conf.d/security - security-related directives like
ServerSignature

/etc/apache2/mods-available/<module>.conf and <module>.load - directives
for module <module>

/etc/apache2/httpd.conf - main server directives e.g. ServerName that
are not in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf; if you're not using virtual
servers then most of the remainder of your configuration would typically
go here

/etc/apache2/sites-available/<site> - directives for virtual host <site>

Not only is there a particular configuration file setup. But there are
also scripts used to enable and disable modules and sites. E.g. a2enmod
<module> creates a symbolic link to /etc/apache2/mods-available/<module>
in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ and a2dismod <module> deletes it. a2ensite
<site> and a2dissite <site> work similarly. Only the -enabled
directories are pulled into /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.

It takes some getting used to, but this approach keeps things nicely
segregated and is a big help in a complicated setup.

Cheers,
Keith