httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mauricio Tavares <raubvo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 1 Public IP Many Servers
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 22:36:20 GMT
On 02/18/2012 04:40 PM, Chris Arnold wrote:
> Apache2.2.3 on SLES10. I was hoping my firewall (sonicwall tz180w
> enhanced software) would do this but it looks like it might not. We
> have 4 servers with private ip's and our firewall has 1 public ip.
> These servers run different services like mail, web and the other
> things. We are looking at another service (ticketing system) that can
> not run on but port 80. Port 80 is on the a different server. I need
> to know if apache is able to see an dns address and forward to the
> correct server. Example: http://cloudservice.domain.com on port 80
> and http://mailservice.domain.com on port 80 (these are different
> servers with private ip's). Can apache see the
> xxx://cloudservice.xx.com and forward to the correct server versus
> xxx://mailservice.xxx.com.

> I hope what i need is clear as i am having a hard time describing it.
> Basically, i need same port to go to different servers based on the
> dns address from the outside (public ip).

	I do not know if I understood the question but you can have a bunch of
different websites with their own ip addresses in one apache server.
That is usually done if they have their own unique certs AFAIK. I would
imagine you can do fancier stuff too if you throw more servers at it,
like have one external box that then forward the different requests to
the proper web servers in your DMZ/private net.

	That said, it is rather silly the sonicwall cannot listen to more than
one external IP. I mean, that is beyond trivial in your garden-variety
Linux or Solaris or what have you. And AFAIK sonicwall is linux-based.

Can't it at least have rules based on external FQDNs?