httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to make Apache mod_deflate and Transfer-encoding : Chunked work together?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:50:51 GMT

> Of course. But the original question was, why is chunking not used, even when
> Content-Length was not sent? I don't know HTTP/1.1 enough to answwer this question, do
you?

Yes; because the entire C-L is known and the overhead for C-L plus
fragment header/trailer is longer than a simple C-L header.

The original question was, "How do I force chunking".  The answer
is, you don't and can't expect to.  Chunking is a hop-by-hop
behavior over which you have no control by either endpoint of the
intermediate servers' elections.