httpd-users mailing list archives

From Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] vhosts conf file efficiency
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:13:01 GMT
On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 22:10 -0500, Sean Conner wrote:

> > So its going to open, read and close 2000 files, rather than open, read
> > and close one file, that may or may not be noticeable at
> > startup/reloads, if I was a betting man, I'd say noticeable.
>
>   Nope.  I just ran a program [1] that opened and read 25,018 files in 2.5
> seconds [2].  I'd bet unnoticeable.

Bored, so I tried it, only on a lightly used server (408 hosts) wrote
quick 'n dirty perl  to split them into individuals and into a test dir

firstly in normal state....

time ./rc.httpd start
Starting Apache... Done.

real	0m0.336s
user	0m0.252s
sys	0m0.040s

Now edited httpd.conf to exclude vhosts.conf but include
conf/test/*.conf

time ./rc.httpd start
Starting Apache... Done.

real	0m1.087s
user	0m0.284s
sys	0m0.040s

so half a second more reading 400 odd individual files, so over 2000 it
would take a few seconds more, in nit picking, yes it would be worse
off, if you can call 3 or so seconds more, worse off :)