httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ravindranath M" <ravindranat...@comviva.com>
Subject [users@httpd] What is the "correct way" for starting apache2 as a service in UNIX (Ubuntu)
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 06:57:01 GMT
Dear Apache team and other friends,

According to official Apache documentation, the correct way to start httpd is to use apachectl.
 When I start this way it works.  Since I am using Ubuntu, I run it with "sudo"  prefix.
As a result it starts with root user's privileges.

But for another software module (Reviewboard), which is supposed to use apache web service,
this is causing problems with respect to some file permissions.  When posted to their forum,
they advised me to use the following command to start apache.

sudo service apache2 start|stop|restart

But the above command gives me errors, as below:

-----begin-quote-------
rvnath@rvnath:~$ sudo service apache2 restart
/usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/apache2: undefined symbol: apr_os_uuid_get
Action 'configtest' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
   ...fail!
-----end-quote-------

Searching through various forums and groups didn't help me much either.

My question is:

1.       What is the right way to start apache as a daemon service in UNIX (Ubuntu)?

2.       Finally, when httpd is run, does it run as "www-data" user, or some other user.
When I did a process grep (ps -ef | grep httpd), it shows me that it runs with a user name
called "daemon" instead of www-data).  So, is it correct to say that apache runs as a "daemon"
user and NOT www-data as claimed by Reviewboard forums?

Regards,
RV

This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the intended recipient(s)
ONLY and contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies and the original
message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this email or any action taken pursuant to the contents of the present e-mail is
strictly prohibited and is unlawful. The recipient acknowledges that Comviva Technologies
Limited or its management or directors, are unable to exercise control or ensure the integrity
over /of the contents of the information contained in e-mail. Any views expressed herein are
those of the individual sender only and no binding nature of the contents shall be implied
or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of Comviva Technologies
Limited. E-mail and any contents transmitted with it are prone to viruses and related defects
despite all efforts to avoid such by Comviva Technologies Limited.