httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RE: Can you use variables inside a conf file?
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:53:52 GMT
On 25.01.2012 14:47, Desilets, Alain wrote:
>> 	I use this syntax too, but I think it works for me only because of my
>>
>> 		http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_define/mod_define.html
>
> It works for me and I don't have mod_define loaded.

Using an environment variable with the ${MYVAR} syntax works without
mod_define. If you want to define the value of the variable inside the
httpd configuration files, you would need mod_define.

Major difference: environment variables can't be changed with "apachectl
restart" or "apachectl graceful", because in both cases the httpd parent
process keept running and all child processes are forked from it with an
unchanged environment.

If you define the variables inside the configuration and use the
additional module, any changes to the definitions will become active by
"apachectl restart" and "apachectl graceful".

Starting with the forthcoming Apache 2.4 defining variable inside the
httpd configuration will become a core feature.

Regards,

Rainer