httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dave Stevens <g...@uniserve.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web Hosting
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:53:35 GMT
Quoting Damien Hull <dhull@section9.us>:

> The two suggestions are okay, but I would like to do this from the
> CLI. Is there any way to allow users on the system to have their own
> website?
>
> I know you can have websites in users home directories. The problem is
> permissions. The Apache users needs access to the website files for
> things like PHP applications to work. This is what I'm having issues
> with.

HI Damien,

I first started hosting sites on a server for non-profit groups. I
used the command line and vi to manually edit the apache config files
and set up directories and users and so on. It was an impossible task
for even a keener on a volunteer basis. Very time-consuming and very
error-prone.

VM allows me to use the CLI as and when I wish but automates the
routine parts so that the tedious bits are done by script. I've found
it very worthwhile from the points of view of productivity and ease.

It costs nothing to use and directly addresses the issues you mention
above. You can mail me off-list if you need help.

Dave