httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Strange entries in error_log
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:28:22 GMT
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Jakov Sosic <jakov.sosic@srce.hr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use CentOS 5.x with Apache 2.2., and have came across strange error in
> error_log:
>
> tr: write error: Broken pipe
> tr: write error
>

> There is no timestamp, it happens periodically with no apparent reason.
> I have NameVirtualHost in place, and PHP, so I really don't get it why
> is this error logged in general log, and there is nothing in the access_log.
>
> I have no idea why this happens. Any help appreciated!

The error log is literally stderr for the apache process. Anything run
in Apache (mod_php) or any process launched by Apache (mod_php
invoking tr) that prints to stderr will appear in the error log
without a timestamp, just like that.

So the real question is, what bit of your PHP app is invoking tr.

Cheers

Tom