httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stormy <storm...@stormy.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] worker, prefork, .apache2.conf.swp and php
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:17:16 GMT
At 02:55 PM 12/9/2011 -0500, Mark Montague wrote:
>On December 9, 2011 13:30 , Stormy <stormy22@stormy.ca> wrote:
>>Apache2 2.2.17 on a possibly overbuilt (8 core CPU, 8 Gigs RAM, solid
>>state + raid drives) lightly loaded server using MySql, Perl and PHP.
>>Built using 'worker' rather than 'prefork' (Googling seemed to suggest
>>performance improvement under light loads) but now I'm reading various
>>reports that PHP could be troublesome (Debian User forum, "PHP5 stopped
>>working".)
[snip]
>PHP has had long-standing thread safety issues.  The "worker" MPM for
>Apache HTTP Server is threaded.  This can create problems and
>instability.  See
><http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2>
>If you want to use PHP, either use the "prefork" MPM or FastCGI.

Appreciated.  Is it just a question of:
     $ sudo apt-get remove apache2-mpm-worker apache2-threaded-dev
     $ sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork
or do I need a complete remove/reinstall?

I'll also look into FastCGI - I've got no experience with it.

Which would you prefer? (particularly for speed performance)

Again thanks - Paul