httpd-users mailing list archives

From Samuel <liste-apa...@ingescom.com>
Subject [users@httpd] high volume freeze the machine
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2011 21:14:22 GMT
Hi,

We got some problem of apache freezing and system going down.

The virtual guest httpd (we don't manage the host) is a 4 cpu machine
with 32 GB RAM on debian Lenny.

Around 3 000 or 4 000 high volume php website are on the virtual
machine. We see with apache2ctl fullstatus that there is sometime a lot
of process with W status not killed when the machine going down ... and
if we kill that PID the machine doesn't go down and we can take the
control easy again with no lag.

So for starting, and for a volume of 5 req/sec and 150 Kb /s but for an
inactive period, how can we tune our config :

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
     StartServers          5
     MinSpareServers       5
     MaxSpareServers      20
     MaxClients          90
     MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

We would like that 200 persons could be connected with a 150 MB memory
per apache process.

How to tune apache to achieve this and of course not freezing like now ?

P.S. the heavy framework Symfony is working with apache.

Thanks a lot.

Samuel.