httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Sheryl " <gubyd...@his.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Clarification on Apache timeouts
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 19:36:02 GMT
J. Lance Wilkinson wrote:

> I have had some locally build PHP scripts that run a very long time (doing
> database lookups and so forth) before outputting the desired content.   These
> would time out like that.

> Of course, a user would sit around waiting for a result and give up as well.
> So I resolved both of these by putting a progress bar out in the output to
> start with:

[snip]

Thanks.  Interesting.  Unfortunately it's a socket call that is hanging and never coming back.
 Since the call goes out into space and never completes there's no way for us to implement
a progress bar.

The whole thing has to do with socket connections to an authentication server.  pass/fail
works ok but users' accounts can get into states the code doesn't handle.  The users do get
impatient, as you say, and hit reload over and over and hit the max number of http connections
periodically.

The developers say they can't fix the code and are taking the "apache is broken or it would
solve this for us" tack.  That's why I'm trying to find out more how the apache timeouts work.

Sheryl