httpd-users mailing list archives

From brainbuz <brain...@brainbuz.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache and Perl
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:40:05 GMT

I strongly recommend Starman or another native Plack (PSGI) process
server over fcgi or mod_perl.

See the 2011 Catalyst Advent Calender
for my article on this. If you look at different Perl Sites you will
find a number of good reasons you should use Plack. The short list:

	* Plack process servers are written expressly for the purpose of
serving Perl applications.
 	* Starman serves a web application as HTML,
which can then easily be proxied.
 	* You only need 2 modules on Apache
to support it: Proxy and proxy_httpd. Optionally rewrite.
 	* Your
apache configuration can be as tiny as a single proxypass directive or
rewrite rule. If your application can be made proxy aware (as catalyst
ones can), proxypassreverse isn't even necessary.
 	* By running your
Perl process externally to the web server your webserver will start much
faster.
 	* By running your Perl process externally to the web server a
problem with one won't prevent the other from loading.
 	* By running
your Perl process externally to the web server, when you need to restart
your process server other things being served will be unaffected.

On
2011-12-27 13:42, Damien Hull wrote:

> Here's what I have...
> 1.
Ubuntu 10.04
> 2. LAMP
> 3. A custom installation of Perl over in
/usr/local/
> 4. A web app that requires perl
>
> I'm looking into
mod_perl or fcgi to get my web application working.
> 1. How do I setup
Apache to use the custom installation of Perl?
> 2. Which method is
best, fcgi or mod_perl?