httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache restarting
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:03:43 GMT
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Øyvind Lode - Forums <forums@lode.is> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have also noticed that apache restarts without me telling it to.
>
> But I don't think this is related to my other question in another thread.
>
> From the log:
>
> [Tue Nov 15 06:45:48 2011] [notice] SIGUSR1 received.  Doing graceful restart
>  [Tue Nov 15 06:45:48 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8k
configured -- resuming normal operations

> How come apache suddenly receiving SIGUSR1?
>
> Apache 2.2.14 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Someone sent it USR1 - as the name suggests, it is a user signal. The
most common/easiest way to send apache a SIGUSR1 is to run "apachectl
graceful". Apache doesn't restart itself.

Have you configured log rotation? When rotating logs, it is common to
gracefully restart apache to write to new log files.

Cheers

Tom