httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Tkach <ntk...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Consequences of https to https rewrites?
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:41:53 GMT
I've been looking at a particular problem and it's one of those ones
that's just really hard to describe in unique terms for a search
(maybe no one else has hit it before :).  Been Googling all over
trying to find details on any consequences/side-effects of using
mod_rewrite to redirect secure urls to other secure urls on the same
site.  Something like

RewriteRule ^https://mycom.com/specialsale
https://mycom.com/content/some/url/page.html

First of all, does that even make sense?  I'm a little fuzzy on the
precise technical details of how SSL connections and http headers
"mix".  I've dealt with SSL and Apache in general in the past and have
some knowledge of SSL handshakes/negotiations, but the precise
technical details I've not had the "pleasure" of dealing with very
often.

Second, we've seen that at least sometimes that seems to generate a
big spike in CPU usage "all of a sudden" once it goes live.

Any thoughts?