httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache restarting
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:29:31 GMT
On November 15, 2011 15:34 , =?utf-8?B?w5h5dmluZCBMb2RlIC0gRm9ydW1z?=
<forums@lode.is> wrote:
>> Have you configured log rotation? When rotating logs, it is common to
>> gracefully restart apache to write to new log files.
>
> I found the answer in /etc/logrotate.d/apache2
>
> /etc/init.d/apache2 reload is executed when logs are rotated.

I use cronolog because it avoids the need to signal httpd.  cronolog
also has a number of other nice features, including running as a
different user id than the web server (so a rogue CGI cannot modify the
log files), flexible file naming, and automatic symbolic linking.  (I'm
using version 1.7.0 beta with the jumbo patch).

http://cronolog.org/

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org