httpd-users mailing list archives

From Harry Spier <harrysp...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Letting users see directory contents of protected directory
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 01:33:12 GMT

Dear list members,

On a shared hosting linux webserver running
Apache I have a password protected directory.  I want users who have the
 password for the directory "/downloads" to be able to list the contents
 of that directory and its subdirectories.

I have an .htaccess file in the password protected directory /downloads with the following
contents:
Options Indexes
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Access to /downloads"
AuthUserFile /kunden/homepages/18/d249834675/htpasswd
Require user Ikari

 thought the Options Indexes line would allow me to do that, but when I
type in: www.xxxxxxx/downloads/ in the browser I get Error 403 "You have
 tried to access a document for which you don't have privileges.  Before
 I put "Options Indexes" in the .htaccess I got an Error 404 File not
found.

Could someone tell me how to set it up so users who have
the password to the directory can list, view and download the contents
of the directory.

Many thanks,
Harry Spier