httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] UserDir + Alias = suexec not being invoked
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:10:31 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Zachary Palmer
<zep_apache_httpd_list@bahj.com> wrote:
> As an update, I have yet to find a solution to this nagging problem.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions or am I stuck trying to write my own patch for
> UserDir?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zach

I don't think this is a problem with mod_userdir. mod_userdir solely
maps requests with a user component in them (~foo) to the appropriate
user's directory. mod_suphp (not stock Apache) is what then
subsequently uses the user discovered during that phase to suexec as
the right user.

However, when you use the alias, mod_userdir is not involved - there
is no user component in the requested URI for it to get involved, and
so mod_suphp does nothing. I don't use PHP, let alone mod_suphp, but
looking at the docs, you can specify explicitly the user and group to
run as for a specific location or directory (suPHPUser_Group). You
will have to do this for any location/directory that you want to alias
away from using mod_userdir.

Cheers

Tom