httpd-users mailing list archives

From Norman Fournier <nor...@normanfournier.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd-vhosts.conf using include
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:41:28 GMT
On 2011-09-06, at 1:30 PM, Steve Swift wrote:

> You can arrange them any way that you like. The include statement includes the referenced
file(s) at the point where it is encountered. You could expand all of this out, and create
a single httpd.conf file, and it would work exactly the same. Or you could have an include
statement for every line in your config, with each included file containing just one line.

> The include mechanism makes it easier to manage, is all. Things I use "include" for:
>
> 1. You can remove "stuff" fron your config by commenting out the "include". So if you
add a new Vhost, and define it in a new Include file, then you can remove it with a very simple
comment character if it causes problems.

> 2. It allows you to replace identical sequences of statements in two or more places,
for example, you might apply some common ScriptAlias statements across multiple Vhosts (for
example, "Scriptalias /test /var/www/cgi-bin/text.cgi" might be useful in all of your Vhosts.
If you add it using "Include", then a single change to the include file will update all of
your virtualhosts.

> On 6 September 2011 19:55, Norman Fournier <norman@normanfournier.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on rebuilding a web server after a crash. In my previous httpd.conf file,
include was used to point to virtual host .conf files. In this httpd.conf file it points to
httpd-vhosts.conf for virtual hosting. My question is should I include my vitual hosts in
the httpd-vhosts.conf or can I use still include in the httpd-vhosts.conf file to point to
individual .conf files for my virtual hosts?

> I have googled for the answer but each examples includes the virtual host in httpd-vhosts.conf.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Norman
> ---
> --