httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Version of TCP
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:54:00 GMT
On September 26, 2011 4:25 , Dusan Geratovic <dusangeratovic@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Which version of TCP protocol does the Apache Server 2.2 use? I have
> noticed that in case of packet loss TCP window does not shrink to the
> half size (like standard version does), but to the 20, 30% of its
> original size. I suppose that the some modified version is used (High
> Speed TCP or something like that).

Apache HTTP Server uses the version of TCP provided by the operating
system it is running on.   The Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library is
used to provide a consistent interface to Apache HTTP Server regardless
of operating-system-specific variations.  See
https://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/1.4/group__apr__network__io.html and
https://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/1.4/group__apr__sockopt.html

I'm not aware of anything in Apache HTTP Server or APR that controls TCP
windowing, although they do use the TCP_NODELAY, TCP_CORK, and
TCP_NOPUSH socket options: see
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/tcpip-options-for-high-performance-data-transmission/1050878

 From my limited knowledge, I suspect the windowing behavior you are
seeing is due to behavior of your operating system kernel.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org