httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache analysis
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:31:46 GMT
On September 20, 2011 11:05 , "Amira Othman" <a.othman@cairosource.com>
wrote:

> I want to install software on my server to analyze traffic served by
> apache and check performance. what  software should I use??
>
> I am using httpd-2.2.3-53.el5.vm on CentOS 5.6

For analyzing traffic, the answer depends on what you want to know.
Once you know what information and metrics you are interested in, you
can select a software package that meets those needs:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_web_analytics_software

For performance, are you more concerned about the performance of Apache
HTTP Server, or what end users perceive as performance?

In the case of the performance of Apache HTTP Server, you'll want to
follow the tips in the documentation (
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html ) and then
monitor things such as CPU load, amount of available memory, and network
bandwidth; a large number of system monitoring tools are available for
this ( sar, rrdtool, Nagios, HP SiteScope -- for a list of others, see
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Comparison_of_network_monitoring_systems
).

Alternatively, if you are concerned about end user experience, then you
not only need to tune the performance of your server and monitor it to
make sure everything remains OK (see above), but you also need to
analyze and optimize the content you are serving.  From
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Web_Performance_Optimization
"[Until] recently it was believed that page load time was determined by
the server; however research at Yahoo and Google prove otherwise. It is
now accepted that 80-90% of load time issues occur at the front end
[that is, in the web browser] and web performance optimization is
critical."   Useful tools in this case are the Safari web browser's Web
Inspector tool, and the YSlow addon for Firefox (
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yslow/ ).

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org