httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Errors in httpd.conf
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:27:54 GMT
On September 8, 2011 12:06 , Norman Fournier <norman@normanfournier.com>
wrote:
>  I have had to reconfigure my directory layout to accommodate a newer
> version of Apache.

This is unusual.  Usually different versions of Apache HTTP Server will
use the same directory layout.  The directory layout usually only
changes when you switch between different distributions of Apache HTTP
Server -- for example, the distribution provided by Red Hat will use one
directory layout, but if you compiled Apache HTTP Server yourself a
different directory layout would be used unless you took care to
duplicate all of Red Hat's configuration and layout for httpd.

If possible, try to minimize variables when upgrading and keep the
directory layout the same.  This may mean using a different distribution
of Apache HTTP Server.

It looks like the configuration file you have came from a MacOS X
system.  Are you using this configuration file with the version of httpd
supplied by Apple?  Were you using a version of httpd supplied by Apple
before this problem started?

> My guess is that the httpd.conf is where my error is located.

Why do you guess that?  Is this based on some evidence (in that case,
please share the evidence), or is it just a purely random guess?

> If you could look over this file for me and offer suggestions as to
> where my error might be I would appreciate it.

This is the wrong way to solve the problem.

First, when you try to start httpd, do you get any errors or warning
messages in the terminal in which you are starting it?  Or if you are
using the Apple Server Admin tool, does it complain or report any errors?

Next, are any errors in your web server error log file?  This is
apparently /private/var/log/apache2/error_log in your configuration.

Near the end of the configuration file you posted, there are a lot of
Include directives.  If you do have an error in your httpd
configuration, it could be in the file you posted, but it could also be
in any of those included files.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org