httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] My RewriteRule seems to be ignored
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:59:45 GMT
On 2011-08-22 23:55, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> You nailed it. All those Rewrite* options need to be in the virtual
> host. Then it works.
>
> This is surprising. I had assumed that anything outside of a virtual
> host was a global setting and the virtual host settings overrode those
> global settings where appropriate.

Except that RewriteEngine ON is NOT inherited.
It must occur anew in every vhost the global rules need to apply to.
As documented...

> Can you recommend anything to read that handles such basic concepts?
> The Apache docs are extensive but clearly you need to have a certain
> foundation of basic Apache knowledge.

No, it's all in the official documentation.
Start at the main portal and read the various howtos and guides before
diving into specific reference sections:

             http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

--
J.