httpd-users mailing list archives

From FreeBSD Ports <freebsd.po...@tipstrade.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_dav getcontenttype high number of authentication queries
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 13:39:48 GMT
On 02/08/11 14:01, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:56:20 +0100
> FreeBSD Ports<freebsd.ports@tipstrade.net>  wrote:
>
>> I'm using Apache 2.2.19 on FreeBSD 7.3
>> mod_dav v.1.0.3
>> mod_auth_mysql v.3.0.0
>>
>> I've noticed that when I make a simple PROPFIND request to get just a
>> getcontenttype tag a large number of authentication queries are made to
>> the mysql server,  however if a PROPFIND with any of the other tags (eg.
>> getcontentlength) is made, only one authentication query is made.
> That difference is indeed puzzling.  Are you sure of it?
Positive, it's reproducable & I can tell exactly how man queries will be
executed by looking at what type of PROPFIND is being done, depth &
directory contents.
I am however going to set up an Ubuntu VM and see if I observe the same
behaviour.
> The large number of queries happens when the server runs a subrequest
> on each file to determine whether it's accessible (and therefore
> whether to include it in the listing).  In a normal listing you
> can turn it on and off with the ShowForbidden option, but I'd have
> to RTFM to tell whether mod_dav supports an equivalent.  But that
> doesn't explain the difference!
>
> FWIW, even if you can't turn the behaviour off, you can avoid the
> repeated SQL queries with mod_authn_socache.  In your case,
> I'd expect that to get you a substantial performance improvement.
Unfortunately, mod_authn_socache appears to be for Apache 2.3 & later,
it's a great idea though and will have to look into it.