httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to configure mod_dbd with MySQL on Apache 2.2
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:16:04 GMT

On 7 Aug 2011, at 16:26, niklas@iandapp.com wrote:

> Thanks! I found that. It doesn't work with MySQL, at least I didn't
> managed to get it working. The error I got was something like "DBD: No
> driver for mysql"
>
> Searching forums it seems like I need to compile the driver into Apache
> (when compiling Apache?). That was the point that I don't want but to find
> a more ligth weigth solution instead.

Aha!  I see.  Maybe that merits an article in the wiki.

Trouble is, an article I could write will be from an apache point-of-view,
and will tell you you need the driver for your chosen database (in this case,
mysql) to be available and installed in the right place.  But how to do that
will depend on your package manager: it will involve something like
  package-manager install apr_dbd_mysql
which is fine for readers who can translate that to what works on their
system, but probably leave others none-the-wiser.

> Mysql is installed and works perfectly well.

Yep.  That's a prerequisite for apr_dbd_mysql.

> I solved it using PHP to check if there is a valid session for the user
> instead. Still, as I understand it, Apache's solution should be more
> secure and I would like to have that.

If it's already a PHP+mysql application then that's a perfectly good
solution (likely suboptimal if php isn't using apr_dbd, but that's a
different question).  If not then it's a horrible solution!

--
Nick Kew