httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What version shall I use for learning PHP?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:13:49 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Varuna Seneviratna
<vswebservers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>       I am using Ubuntu 11.04 as my OS.The available versions of
> Apache2 for Ubuntu are listed below
> apache2-mpm-prefork - Apache HTTP Server - traditional non-threaded model
> apache2-mpm-worker - Apache HTTP Server - high speed threaded model
>
> 1 Can you please explain to me the difference between the two types
> 2 What version shall I use for learning PHP

prefork uses separate processes to handle each request. Each process
handles multiple requests sequentially.
worker uses a pool of processes which maintain a pool of worker
threads. Each worker thread handles multiple requests sequentially.

The differences are more to do with performance/scalability than functionality.

Note that with worker, any code you embed into the webserver (like
mod_php) must be thread safe or Weird Things Can Happen. For that
reason alone, use prefork to learn PHP. I have no knowledge of whether
PHP (or its extensions) are MT-safe, ask on a PHP list.

Cheers

Tom