httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] PHP files not being parsed in HTML pages
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:33:09 GMT
On 2011-07-30 23:21, Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 30/07/2011 19:54, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>>> As an aside and for the avoidance of doubt, whilst they are not strictly
>>> part of HTML, Server Side Includes (which include a #include directive)
>>> are commonly available to plain HTML on many servers.
>> Server Side Includes execute server-side shell code, and these have to
>> be configured on the server.
> Indeed so. The point in this context is where and how SSIs are accessed
> by the website coder, and that is from within plain HTML. The fact that
> they areexecuted by the server does not change this.

Why do you keep insisting that SSI has anything to do with HTML ?
It does not; it is a standard for executing shell code on-the-fly.

>> It has nothing to do with HTML.
> As I said, SSIs are not part of HTML. But in reality they are associated
> with HTML.

No, they're not.

> As it says in the 'Apache Tutorial: Introduction to Server Side
> Includes' at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/ssi.html :

That's 10 years old.

> 	SSI (Server Side Includes) are directives that are placed in
> 	HTML pages, and evaluated on the server while the pages are
> 	being served

Nothing there about SSI being intrinsically or otherwise "associated
with" HTML.

>> No, not "plain HTML".
> Nevertheless, SSIs *are* accessed (both by the coder and by the server)
> from what I can rationally only describe as plain HTML. Certainly, SSIs
> are not themselves "plain HTML" but they are associated with "plain
> HTML" and are placed within "plain HTML".

Only the last is true.

> And so, whilst it is entirely true to say that HTML does not have an
> "include" directive, it also true to say that HTML does have an
> "include" directive available to it (i.e. available to the plain HTML
> coder).

No, that is plain false.
If the server does not support SSI, it will not parse it and return the
HTML content as-is to the client.

Hence, it has NOTHING to do with HTML.

--
J.