httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Knight <j.kni...@isc.keele.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Sharing mod_proxy_balancer session data with multiple virtual hosts
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:10:42 GMT

I'm building a load balancer using apache.  We have to support both SSl
and non-SSL sessions and the problem I'm trying to solve is how to get
both virtual hosts to share session data so that a when a connection is
sent to the non-SSL port, it is proxied to the same server as the SSL
session.

Here's a bit of httpd.conf.  This one will correctly proxy SSL and
non-SSL sessions but won't necessarily use the same server from the same
client.

My fallback plan is to force SSL for everything which will overcome the
difficulty, but I am interested in knowing if there is a way of sharing
session data between virtual hosts.

Listen 160.5.xx.yy:80
Listen 160.5.xx.yy:443

<VirtualHost 160.5.xx.yy:80>
   ServerName zzzz.keele.ac.uk
   ServerAdmin j.knight@isc.keele.ac.uk

   CustomLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/access_log common
   ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/error_log
   LogLevel debug

   <Proxy balancer://staffcluster/>
     BalancerMember http://server1.keele.ac.uk
     BalancerMember http://server2.keele.ac.uk
   </Proxy>

   ProxyRequests off
   ProxyPreserveHost on
   ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
   ProxyPass / balancer://staffcluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID
lbmethod=bybusyness
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://staffcluster/

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 160.5.xx.yy:443>
   ServerName zzzz.keele.ac.uk
   ServerAdmin j.knight@kis.keele.ac.uk

   CustomLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/access_log common
   ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/logs/staff/error_log
   LogLevel debug

   <Location /balancer-manager>
     SetHandler balancer-manager
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
     Allow from 160.5.zz
   </Location>

   <Proxy balancer://staffcluster/>
     BalancerMember https://server1.keele.ac.uk
     BalancerMember https://server2.keele.ac.uk
   </Proxy>

   ProxyRequests off
   ProxyPreserveHost on
   ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
   ProxyPass / balancer://staffcluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID
lbmethod=bybusyness
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://staffcluster/

   SSLEngine on
   SSLProxyEngine on
#  SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
   SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/cert.crt
   SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/key.crt
   SSLCACertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/cacert.crt

</VirtualHost>