httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Watts ...@dionic.net>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy, mod_cache and set header
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:40:06 GMT
Hi all,

Quick pointer would be most welcomed:

I have mod_proxy_http in use to front-end a tomcat server.

Sadly the tomcat programmers omitted to set cache control headers (eg
Expires) and the tomcat servers are being overloaded, despite the
content being totally invariant. I don't "do" JSP so messing about at
that end is out for me.

So I'd like to shove a cache in front - and an agressive one at that,
that handled GET requests too.

I normally use mod_cache_disk for this with good effect but the lack of
Expires (etc) headers are falling foul.

I have considered an output filter to force the headers in as
mod_headers does not seem to play nice with mod_proxy.

Is it at all likely that I could get mod_ext_filter (IIRC), mod_cache
and mod_proxy to play nice?

Next option is to hack mod_proxy (there was a 1.3 patch that allowed
manipulating output headers) - would that play nice with mod_cache?

I do have Squid as a fallback - or I suppose a separate Apache instance
- but it's getting a bit hairy and overweight. A light solution would be
good - I have a 100+ servers I could usefully apply this too :)

Any suggestions would be cool - I'm happy to graft, but as long as I
start in the right direction :)

Many thanks,

Tim

--