httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 slow with protfpd
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:31:00 GMT
On 2011-07-06 17:47, Guille wrote:
> I'm using:
> - Debian Squeeze
> - Server version: Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
> - ProFTPD Version 1.3.3c
> - Net2FTP v 0.98
>
> Hi guys i'm currently using a php script (Net2FTP) as a web FTP
> client. But i'm experiencing some issues when i try to access big files.
> I know this is an Apache list but I've already asked in proftpd forums
> and net2ftp forums and nobody could help me.

So let me get this straight - you're using apache to serve a PHP page
that connects to an FTP server ON THE SAME MACHINE to transfer files
over the network ?

Wow.

Really - wow.

> When i try to access a big file (1GB or more) from my web server
> through apache2 directly it works well i get the download start
> immediately.
> When i access a big file connecting to my proftpd server through a
> normal client like Filezilla i get no problem too, it works as intended.
>
> The problem occurs when i connect through net2ftp script.

Contact its author and ask him to fix it.

> Connection and file listing it's ok. But when i try to get a big file,
> is when i get the issue. It takes for e.g 15minutes to serve the
> net2ftp script client a 500Mb file.

Obviously the bad script tries to retrieve the FTP file completely
before serving it via apache.
Try it with a file larger than you have virtual memory.
The process should die.

> I think the problem is the connection between apache2 and proftpd.

No, it's not. it's the bad script.

--
J.