httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Geoff Millikan" <gmilli...@t1shopper.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 > Timeout & RequestReadTimeout (mod_reqtimeout)
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:18:25 GMT
>> When both RequestReadTimeout and Timeout values are set, the smaller
>> of the two takes precedence, right?  For example, if Timeout 6 and
>> RequestReadTimeout header=10 body=30 then Apache will close the connection
>> at 6 seconds and the RequestReadTimeout will never be activated, right?

> No.  The Timeout refers to each individual read or write, so you can
> easily take more than 10 seconds end-to-end to read the headers but
> have never waited more than 5 seconds for an individual read.

How could it easily take more than 10 seconds end-to-end to read the headers?  For example
let's assume we have request headers of
4000 bytes (which is bigger than average) and a dial up connection of 56 kbps.  The headers
should transfer in 0.57 seconds (not
accounting for slow start and other TCP/IP oddities).  Assuming a 300% error margin for the
end-to-end to read, we're still only at
1.71 seconds.

So it seems like setting "RequestReadTimeout header=10" should be plenty high but obviously
it's not because at 10 seconds we get
many false hits but we don't understand why.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Geoff