httpd-users mailing list archives

From Darren Kukulka <darren.kuku...@oneserve.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Subdomain redirection in Apache Virtual Hosting
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:04:37 GMT
Hi All,

I have a general question regarding subdomain redirection with virtual
hosts.

Basically, we have a domain - let's call it sample.com - with several
subdomains, xxx.sample.com and yyy.sample.com

At the momend www.sample.com takes people to a website hosted elsewhere

We need to have anybody hitting xxx.sample.com and yyy.sample.com redirected
to their respective applications - running under Tomcat and reached by AJP
connectors - through a single Apache web server (2.2.17) with mod_jk
connector (1.2.2).

That is, the virtual host definitions should parse the incoming URL, and use
AJP worker1 to direct traffic to Tomcat on another server running the
application for xxx.sample.com.....and use AJP worker2 to direct traffic to
Tomcat on yet another server running the application for yyy.sample.com

Plus, we want anybody browsing to xxx.sample.com or yyy.sample.com to have
any redirection hidden from their URL, i.e. rather than seeing
https://xxx.sample.com/xxx-application/login.jsp , they would see
https://xxx.sample.com/login.jsp

Been looking into mod_rewrite and mod_proxy (for proxypass and
proxypass_reverse for hiding actual URLs)...but I think I'm getting
overloaded with information!

There is already a wildcard SSL certificate in place for *.sample.com. so
that's all OK...and the AJP connections appear to work fine as well...it's
just getting this darned subdomain config tied down.

Can anybody suggest a clean way to acheive this?

Many Thanks,
Daz