httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how many <Location> directives can you have?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:14:32 GMT
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Tommy Peterson
<Tommy.Peterson@xpandcorp.com> wrote:
> I think I am confused about the <Location> directive. How many can you have? Can
you list 4 or 5, for example, and they are all acted upon? Or does Apached just start with
the first and stop there. Sorry for such a basic question but I ran into an issue.

> I used such a directive to lock down a particular directory. All was good. Then I decided
that I only wanted part of the directory (web app) to be locked down. So I added several such
Location directives. While it appeared to work . . . well without going into too much detail
the application didn't require authentication. So I thought it was my application until I
changed the directives back to one for the entire directory/application and it started working
again as it should.

Generally, the contents of the matching sections are merged together.
  How this works for specific directives sometimes takes
experimenting.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/sections.html#mergin

Be aware also that location /foo includes anything under /foo. If you
want more control, use LocationMatch.