httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to run a backup server?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:33:44 GMT
John Hudak wrote:
> Hmmm well in *that* case, seems like your choices are:
> 1. pay for VPS
> 2. relax your constraint about 5 TB of data
> 3. build a server center from the ground up with reliable power (among
> other things).
>
> Pays yer money, takes yer choice. You may *like* to use a real DB, but
> are you willing to pay for it?  Seems like an unresolvable conflict to me.

My point was more - it's not expensive or difficult to do what was originally
asked for yourself! The database costs ME nothing, automatically handles
replication between sites, and can be expanded to any size. Some firebird
powered sites are runing databases in the hundreds of Gigabytes - and simply
replicate critical business data across machines. Middle layer simply accesses
an available machine.

I keep being told I can 'save money' by only paying for what I need using one of
these virtual systems, but in my case I'd also have to loose capability to get
things DOWN to the level I currently pay. There is no conflict ... the problem
is more one of what you need the backup for? That will determin which is the
best route.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL