httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] need some thoughts on trouble shooting httpd server hangup
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 22:47:48 GMT
On 06/03/2011 10:12 PM, Zaccone, Warren wrote:
> Have a problem where httpd server 2.2.15 stops responding to requests
> requiring server to be frequently restarted that has me going in
> circles. I was looking for some direction as to how to pursue.
> there are 8 workers running each consuming very little cpu.
> netstat shows process listening on port 80 and 443.
> requests on 443 are served fine, but requests on 80 hang,  Backed out
> 2.2.15 and went to previous release I had built (httpd 2.2.11) and
> problem has gone away.  No other variables changed, and they were
> built same way, so I am wondering if there was a change in behavior
> between the releases that I have not anticipated or if there is a bug
> that may have been fixed subsequently.   I am testing 2.2.19 in my lab
> without issues, but 2.2.15 is in production so I need to determine the
> cause.
> the requests are 99% php scripts with a fair number using web services
> with nusoap.  However I think the issue may be httpd itself because
> port 443 works fine, but port 80 does not respond.  Initially both
> ports are functioning and over time, (a few hours), requests on port
> 80 (http) stop responding but 443 (https) remains fine. restarting
> httpd fixes it for a few hours.
> I appreciate any thoughts or direction.
> thank you.
> Warren

It can depend on many things.

Are you running PHP scripts on 443 as well ? The same scripts ?

Or are you running way more on port 80, how much traffic is each port
serving ?

Examine server-status output thoroughly when this start to happen.

> I compiled it as
> Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) PHP/5.2.14 mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8o
>    apachectl -V
> apache bin directory is /usr/local/apache/bin
> httpd is /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
> Server version: Apache/2.2.15 (Unix)
> Server built:   Jul 22 2010 16:52:18
> Server loaded:  APR 1.3.3, APR-Util 1.3.4
> Compiled using: APR 1.3.3, APR-Util 1.3.4
> Architecture:   32-bit
> Server MPM:     Prefork
>   threaded:     no
>     forked:     yes (variable process count)
> Server compiled with....
>  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
>  -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
>  -D APR_HAS_MMAP
>  -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
>  -D APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE
>  -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
>  -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
>  -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
>  -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
>  -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
>  -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache"
>  -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache/bin/suexec"
>  -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
>  -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
>  -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
>  -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
>  -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
>  -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
> $

A lot more helpful would be the output from httpd -S, and an indication
of the types of content on each port.

Also , try to reproduce it by running ab or something like it, keeping
an eye on extendedstatus.

--
J.