httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Phaal <peter.ph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Centralised logging for access logs.
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 14:30:58 GMT
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Steve Foster
<stephenfoster1971@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am looking at ways i can more reliably centralise apache access logs into
> a single logging area, i have discounted syslog on the basis of reliabilty
> and the sheer volume of log entries i need to handle.
>
> I am canvassing opinion on what others who maintain large configurations
> might do, any pointers on where to look next.
>
> I am going to look at something called mod_log_spread but are there any
> other products or off-the-shelf approaches.
>
> many thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Steve,

You might want to take a look at mod-sflow, it is provides
lightweight, centralized logging and performance counters using the
sFlow protocol:

http://blog.sflow.com/2011/01/http.html

If you also run Host sFlow agents on your Apache servers you will also
be able to centrally monitor network traffic, system performance
counters etc. across your cluster.

http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Peter