httpd-users mailing list archives

From Xavier Gallagher <xaviergallag...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Adwords reports 3 times as many 'clicks' as the server log shows served.
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 19:16:43 GMT
Dear Everyone,

I am currently in debate with Google Adwords about the clicks I am
being charged for.

The issue is simple.  I have  specific landing pages for my Adwords adverts.

My server logs show the landing page served 125 times, Adwords reports
360 'clicks'.

There should be a 1-to-1 mapping as far as I am concerned.  If the
landing page was not requested, then the click, valid or not never
reached the server.

Could a cacheing proxy servers be causing the difference?

I repeated the experiment with a new site.  7 clicks, but only two
reported HTTP GET requests to the landing page.

Does anyone have a similar experience? or explanation?

I have searched for answers, but I only get Adwords vs Analytics
answers, and i don't use AWstats.

I retrieve my logs via cpanel, if that is relevant.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Xavier